Welcome to UUCYork!
Few of us were born Unitarian Universalists. Most stumble upon the tradition because we met UUs at a social justice event, read about UUs on the internet or social media, or maybe someone told us we “sounded like a Unitarian.” We took the leap and attended our first Sunday Service with some apprehension, hoping to be unnoticed. But then the service touched us and we decided to return.
The Membership Committee is here to help you get to know more about our faith and our congregation. We can add your email to our newsletter list, as a “friend.” Friends are welcome to participate in almost all aspects of our congregation, and you can stay as a friend for as long as you like.
But overtime, you may want to consider joining the congregation. The best place to start is by attending the Path to Membership classes (details right). After the class you will have the option to join by signing the membership book. Members are expected to support our work through service, attendance, and financial support. Members may vote at congregational meetings, chair committees, and serve on the Board.
The members of the Membership Committee are here to help you connect and get to know the congregation better. After Sunday Services the lobby can be a bit overwhelming to newcomers – so we encourage you to take a few minutes to visit us at the Welcome Desk. We are also available via email to answer questions during the week at email@example.com
We hope you will find a home here. Welcome!
Path to Membership Class
If you are interested in learning more about Unitarian Universalism (UU) and the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of York (UUCY), consider attending our “Path to Membership” class. The class is typically scheduled two times a year (fall and spring). The class is designed for visitors and friends. At the end of the program, participants have the option to join the UUCY.
Click here for our current classes.
Benefits and Responsibilities of UUCY Membership
- You are welcomed as a committed member of our religious community.
- You can vote at our congregational meetings.
- You may Chair Committees, or serve on the Board of Directors.
- You will receive the UU World magazine.
- You will be listed in the Directory of Members and Pledging Friends.
- You will not be charged an honorarium for the minister or a facility rental fee for ceremonial events (Weddings & Unions, Child Dedications, Memorial Services).
- You may rent space at a discounted rate for social events (non-ceremonial).
- You may request to serve as a Delegate to the District Annual Meeting and/or national Unitarian Universalist Association General Assembly.
- Deepen your spiritual practice by regularly attending Sunday services
- Covenant to be positive in relationships with other Congregants and with the staff
- Participate in Congregational life
- Support the Congregation at least annually with a recorded financial contribution within your means
- Support the work of the Congregation by being involved as a volunteer
- Assist with Common Good, our Sunday service hospitality network
- Attend the two Congregational meetings per year, usually one in Spring and one in Fall
- Utilize the Membership Directory for UUCY communications and activities, not for commercial purposes
UU Home Study Module
Keep in touch. Ask questions. Discuss.
Connect with the Minister
During the home study period of this New UU orientation, Reverend Jen invites you to be in contact with her:
Watch Unitarian Universalist Multi-Media
YouTube Curated by UUCY
Explore Unitarian Universalist Websites